WRITE A PAPER TO SUPPORT YOUR POSITION (THESIS) ON THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. Why is the SEC so vehement in their stance that nonGAAP metrics should NOT be used?
2. Is the use of nonGAAP financial metrics an attempt to mislead investors?
ACCESS THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS TO ASSIST IN DEVELOPING YOUR PAPER:
A. Review the article at: https://www.cpajournal.com/2017/09/19/non-gaap-reporting-sampler/
B. Review the article at: http://goingconcern.com/sec-fines-company-failing-mention-they-paid-ceos-lavish-perks-and-some-non-gaap-stuff-too/
This assignment must be typed to receive credit.
• Your paper should be saved in a WORD file using the naming convention: “last name-first name-306-TP1-section#”. For example my file would be named “Stubbs-Dan-306-TP1-00”. Do not include special characters (such as “#”) in your file name as such files cannot be opened/viewed.
FORMAT: Length: 2-3 typed pages using an 11 Point font. Margins: Please use 1 inch margins only and 1.5 line spacing for your paper. Title Page: Include your name, date, course name and section.
• Papers which are too brief will be evaluated accordingly. Tables or charts should not be used as “page fillers”. Of course, you may use exhibits to amplify points of emphasis (as a supplement).
• FOOTNOTES: You must reference any ideas taken from the sources used. Attribution in the form of Footnotes or parenthetical reference is required. Include a separate page for Bibliography or Works Cited. You must use at least FOUR additional sources (beyond the assigned readings and textbook).
Your grade is based on four criteria:
• Research Content (2): You must use several sources in addition to those assigned to support your conclusions. .Please note you may use the textbook but it will not be counted as an “additional source”
• Critical Thinking (3): The ability to “connect the dots” and “think outside the box” regarding the implications of the proposed changes.
• Presentation (2): Use attribution tools (footnotes, etc.). You may use footnotes (superscripts) or parenthetical references. Of course, footnotes facilitate reading of your submission and provide a “cleaner” presentation.
• Writing Style (3): Grammatical context, spelling, punctuation, etc.