Based upon your readings, discuss the following issues and provide example to back up your thoughts:
Part 1- Discussion Topic: ERPs and the Management Function
IT Best Practices for Financial Managers references the pervasiveness of enterprise systems in financial functions. Describe your experiences working with such systems. Did they handle any/many of the “key end-to-end finance processes” that the lecture and reading describe? What other functions were integrated into the systems?
If you haven’t worked with any of these systems, search the net and see what other ERP systems are the market and share with us some of your observations. Many of you will not have worked with these systems before so please spent some time looking one up.
I’m looking forward to your discussion this week. Know that the value of your contribution includes the information itself that you share in addition to the timing of your input. If your posting is made on Sunday evenings before discussions close, there is no time for further discussion, so the post is discounted. Our class benefits from early original postings and early responses to your colleague’s postings. You are all “old hands” at this, let’s see your best work.
Part 2- Discussion Topic: Taking Nuts-n-Bolts: Typical ERP Modules and Features
The ERP Market Primer lists the following as the most common ERP modules:
• Financial Management
• Human Capital Management
• Manufacturing Management
• Project Management
• Supply Chain Management
• Customer Relationship Management
• Supplier Relationship Management
• Product Lifecycle Management
Select a module and
1. describe what business processes would be handled in the module
2. using your knowledge of relational databases, identify which tables would be included in the module
3. create a simple flowchart (in Word, using Shapes) of how the databases interact
4. determine if your module would interact with any others and explain how
Part 3- Discussion Topic: Outsourcing-Offshoring-Cloud Computing – Difference
As managers of financial operations we should be familiar with these terms. Choose two of these topics and compare and contrast so that we can learn the differences. Class members joining the conversation later, are there any keen observations that jump out at you?
When we outsource, offshore and place Accounting/Financial IT/IS in the cloud, what are the issues related to ownership and where does the ultimate responsibility rest?
1- J. Worster, Thomas R. Weirch, Frank J. C. Andera (2012)Maximizing Return on Investments Using ERP Applications, 1/e. Wiley . ISBN 9781118422298
2- American Psychological Association (2009)Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association, 6/E. American Psychological Association. ISBN 9781433805615
3- Marianne Bradford (2010)Modern Erp: Select, Implement & Use Todays Advanced Business Systems, 2/e. lulu.com. ISBN 9780557434077
Title: ERP, the Financial Management Function & the Cloud
• Chapters 1-2 in Modern ERP
• Intro – Chapter 3 in Maximizing ROI using ERP Apps
• Overview of Cloud Computing
• Thinking about Operations – Overview of Systems Diagraming and Process Maps
• Chapters 3-4 in Modern ERP
• Chapters 4,5,7, 9 in Maximizing ROI using ERP Apps